Finding a Great MSP in a Sea of Mediocrity
So you’ve decided to hire an MSP… That’s great, but how do you know you’re picking the right one? There are TONS of players in the arena nowadays. In 2017, the market was valued at $155.91 billion with an expectation to increase to $296.38 billion by 2023. That’s a HUGE increase within a few years. Why is the market growing so steadily? Because C-level executives are drawn to the proactive approach wherein their systems are monitored, maintained, and protected for a flat-rate monthly fee. They know they need to avoid downtime, because in today’s day and age, downtime seriously impacts your ability to bring in revenue. You depend on your technology for virtually all aspects of your business, and in turn, it needs to be properly taken care of.
What Do We Mean By “Sea of Mediocrity?”
The market is exploding, and with that, comes quite a few new MSPs trying to cash in on the growth. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s important to be aware that although the services MSPs provide are often similar to one another, they can vary greatly in the way they provide those services, the experience they have, and the certifications and/or training that backs them up. Essentially, what we mean is that although an MSP might be able to monitor, maintain, and support your information technology, they might not be able to do much else in terms of strategic planning.
Great MSPs know that it’s about more than simply keeping your information technology operational. It’s about helping you embrace the concept of digital transformation wherein you’re leveraging digitization to create new or modify existing business processes and customer experiences – allowing you to keep up with evolving consumer demands and market changes through innovation.
So What Sets a Great MSP Apart from a Mediocre MSP?
First and foremost, be aware that virtually all MSPs provide similar services. If they’re not providing the following, they should be taken off your list right away:
- Remote monitoring
- Regular maintenance
- Help desk services
- Mobile device management
- Managed IT services
- Data backup and business continuity
- Network planning and/or configuration
The range of services they offer is critical to ensuring they’ll keep up with your requirements as you grow. If they don’t offer the above services, chances are, in today’s highly technology dependent environment, you’ll outgrow them rather quickly. Now let’s take a look at what sets a great MSP apart from a mediocre one:
- A solid track record: They should have a solid track record for helping businesses operate more efficiently through the effective use of information technology. Talk to them about their services, how they provide those services, and whether or not they have any previous clients who would be willing to speak about their experiences.
- A great team of professionals: They should have a great team of professionals who are experts in a range of technologies. Feel free to ask about their skill-sets, training, and certifications to make sure they’re up-to-date on the latest when it comes to hardware and software. If they’re not keeping their team well-trained and well-versed, keep looking.
- A focus on innovation: They should be focused on innovation because the technology world evolves at a rapid rate, and naturally, this approach should extend beyond technology to the way they provide the services they offer. Do they do anything differently, such as a response time guarantee or taking part in philanthropic activities?
- A straightforward service level agreement: They should have a straightforward service level agreement that outlines quality and performance metrics that make you feel comfortable. In addition, look for any hidden fees or surprise costs wherein certain factors aren’t covered in the agreement. You don’t want to get a few months into a contract and find out something important isn’t included.
Choose a Great MSP in Portland That Meets All of the Must-Haves Above. Call SureTec at (503) 389-8015.
Like this article? Keep reading: